PzKpfw. III L (and IVG - one
picture) - 1/35 DRAGON.
This is a conversion of Dragon's 1/35
scale Flammpanzer to a Panzer III L.
The kit itself looks quite nice and with a few additions makes a very
nice model. There are of course a few things to look out for, but all in
all construction is rather straightforward.
The kit was detailed using a variety of products:
- The hull skirts were added using Aber's excellent PE set.
- Aber's Photo-Etched grilles for the engine air intakes were also
- The turret skirts were made from thin sheet plastic and thin
brass strip to make the support brackets. I had such a difficult time
trying to get Aber's turret set to line up properly that I ended scratch
building these items.
- Bolt heads were added using short sections of plastic rod with a
hex shaped cross section. These were cut using "The Chopper".
- Wiring was added for the driving lights.
- The tow cable tie downs were made using leftover PE "sprue"
from a couple of different Aber sets. These were then detailed with PE
- The cargo rack was constructed using the same brass strip used
to make the turret skirt brackets.
- The cargo boxes were scratch built to match the two boxes shown
carried by "511" in the photograph. They are made of sheet
plastic with lead foil & wire handles.
- The dangling bucket was "borrowed" from a Tamiya SdKfz
- Fruil's ATL 04 pinned track set was used. I love these track
sets because I can paint & weather them and then once finished,
lightly rub them on a piece of 400 grit sandpaper and "viola"
perfect looking track wear. They also sag just right, not that you can
see it with the skirts in place, but I know it's there!
- The tow cables are a combination of Karaya cables and the
Tamiya cable ends that come with the Panzer IV OVM sets. These cables
look great and best of all they are super easy to work with.
Modeller: Mike Millette.
It's a part of an article published